The team at SMBSEO has been keeping a very close eye on the battle for media control. If you thought it was fun before, then keep your eyes peeled because we’ve got a feeling the big dogs haven’t even hit the yard yet.
Here is a quick run-through on some of the power plays going on at the moment:
- The Australian reported today that Gina Rinehart may need to go as far as a partial take over bid in order to get the control and power she is seeking at Fairfax Media. Unfortunately for Gina, 18.7% of the company just isn’t enough to throw that mining weight around.
- Now not to be outshone there are a few billionaires you may have heard of, mainly Stokes, Packer and Murdoch who are playing a game of chess for controlling stakes in ConsMedia. A quick rundown on this one is Kerry Stokes (Seven Group) has moved to block Murdoch’s (News Corp) $2b offer for ConsMedia on Wednesday. Now ConsMedia (25%) and News Corp (25%) together are currently only half of the ConsMedia equation. The 3rd Billionaire in the picture is James Packer who owns the majority 50% stake and has already backed Murdoch’s $3.50 share bid. For more on this article head over here to Brisbane Times.
All we know is despite all the cards on the table, you better believe these billionaires have another deck or 12 up their sleeves. My money, personally after reading “The Information Highway” by Murdoch, is on his proven experience. It is hard imagine one could get past the track record, wisdom and colosal amount of leverage a man like Rupert can pull.
Bottom line – interesting times for all marketing and communication of information!